KC Clay Guild Board Meeting Minutes and Agenda

  • 04 Jun 2024 10:24 PM | Laura Tyler (Administrator)

     

    KC Clay Guild Board Minutes - May 1st, 2024

     

    Start:   6:00     End:

     

    ATTENDEES:  Cindy Percival, Cynthia Brown, Kelly Daniels, Deborah Kashyap, Laura Tyler Strawn, Louis Reilly, John Devaney, Kelsie Herron, Josh Wood, Abby Callaghan, David Firman.

     

    BUSINESS UPDATES:

     

    President: Josh Wood

    Vice President: John DeVaney

    Gallery: David Firman

    Workshops: Deborah Kashyap

    Membership/Outreach: Cindy Percival

    Monitors/Volunteers: Cynthia Brown

    Treasurer: Kelly Daniels

    Secretary: Laura Tyler Strawn

    Education: Abby Callaghan

    Publicity: Kelsie Herron

     

    Treasurer’s Report

    Votes outside of meeting

    We voted to put an offer in for potential building start at $600,000 and to go up to no more than $750,000 (at least without voting again).

    Spring Sale – Kelsie, Josh, Laura, Amy T, David
    May 10th and May 11th

    Can we do a last meeting Monday or Tuesday evening before the sale? Tuesday at 6

    Amy is working on final email to send out to participants with load in/out instructions

    Workshops

    Deborah wants to get microphone and expand YouTube page

    *Late October: 1 day teabowl workshop with Jamish Jackson

    Youth Pinch Pot Monster Workshop
    May 5, 5-7

    *First Sunday of each month for kids

    *Second Sunday more for adults

     

    Monitors / Volunteers  -

    Planning outdoor picnic for next monitor meeting at Leawood City Park – July 14th or 21st

    Planning to organize documents on the desktop

    Can we combine the monitor slack and the general Clay Guild slack?

    Publicity – Kelsie

    Working on Spring Sale publicity

    KC Studio post coming out next week
    Spot in KCUR this week for Spring Sale

     

    Community Outreach/Membership

    The number of active members as of 4/29 is 631.


    ENewsletter

    Organizational News: Raku at Truman Highschool
    Maybe an employee or board member spotlight: Spotlight Louis
    Workshops:
    Anything else?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

    Education

    Airs on the Move at Hale Cook just ended. Trying to find more people that are interested in doing it.

    Education Coordinator

    Summer Class—Louis
    Some availability in 8:30am classes
    3 or 4 classes out of 24 need more students to run

    Building Maintenance -Louis

    In order to enable moving the Blaauw kiln in one piece (strongly recommended by Blaauw) we need to open the wall into the kiln room and install a roll up door. I have a discounted quote to make the wall opening for ~$7,000 and the door will be another $1,000. The high cost of refabricating the complicated kiln supports for the Blaauw kiln, the risk involved in moving the kiln in pieces, and the ease at which we can move everything else out of the building through this 'dock' justify the expense. I think this will also add a bit of value to our building when it's time to sell. 

    Voted yes

    Technology

    Laura – Can we get gmail email addresses for all the positions?
                -Would it be helpful to get Microsoft Word and Excel accounts? I know Louis and Amy probably use Google Sheets and Docs primarily, but Amy was having issues doing the labels because Google Docs wasn’t compatible. Would it be helpful to get an account that then Louis and Amy could have on their laptops, and then the guild computer could also have?

    Should make a website tech committee to search for a new platform for the website that has the functionality that we need. – Louis, Cynthia

    Grants

    We were awarded the 20K matching grant from the Murial McBride Kauffman Foundation

    Should hear back about 20K grant from Deffenbaugh soon
    Will be applying for Francis Family Foundation

    Artist in Residence

    Going to Arkansas Pottery fest in May

    Applications ended for AIRs April 15, had 17 applications which is almost half of what we had last year. Kelsie and Louis are interviewing 7 people. Will have 3 spots and whole new group of people. 5 people have already committed to interviews.


    Gallery

    Louis: We needed nice pedestals for use in our gallery and for use during the AiR exit shows, Teabowl National, etc. I have had a prototype flat pack pedestal made. We could have 20 pedestals made in various sizes that will last decades made for ~$2300. I have sample pedestals to show you all. Voted yes.

    Izanna expressed interest in doing a solo show and Louis expressed interest in doing a show of his collection.

    An instructors show would be cool. Also a show for kids.



    Strategic Planning Committee- Josh, John, Melynda, Abby, Louis

    Hamburger Mary Bingo Fundraiser –

    Friday, May 17 at 7pm
    Will help each other advertise

    On the building, we have been negotiating with the owner's representative. They initially asked $895,000 or $71.60 per sq/ft for the building. We met as a board to offer no more than $750,000 for the building. John did some more financial research and concluded we couldn't afford to pay more than $700,000. Our nonprofit speciality lender, IFF has suggested we can afford to borrow and carry a $700,000 loan. We have discussed putting in ~$100,000 cash and borrowing ~$600,000.

    Once we are able to sell off our current building we would apply the proceeds (roughly $450,000 or  $93.75 per sq/ft) to the loan, knocking the principal down to $150,000. The loan would reamortize, payments would be reduced to reflect the small loan size.

    We were recently awarded a $20,000 matching grant, once matched we'll have an additional $40,000. 

    We offered $600,000 initially, they countered at $870,000 or $69.60 per sq/ft. We came back at $700,000 as a best and final offer. They countered at $810,000 or  $64.80 per sq/ft. We'll need to decide how to proceed tomorrow. My suggestion would be to counter at $720,000 citing the new grant.

    *Louis and John will meet with IFF to talk more about how much money we are good to borrow. Or can IFF meet with the board as a whole?

    Teabowl National –  Aimee, Josh, Louis (Committee) David

    Shikha Joshi is TBN juror for 2024

     

    Raku Weekend

    Holiday Sale

    Apparel Committee – Laura, Aimee, Louis, Mike

    Aimee ordered aprons
    Have we heard if these have been received?

    New business:

    Joe Smith Lifetime achievement award – want to finalize nominations

    Need to get it on the website and what the criteria are

     

     


  • 01 May 2024 4:22 PM | Laura Tyler (Administrator)

     

    KC Clay Guild Board Minutes - May 1st, 2024

     

    Start:   6:00     End:

     

    ATTENDEES:  Cindy Pervival, Cynthia Brown, Kelly Daniels, Deborah Kashyap, Laura Tyler Strawn, Louis Reilly, John Devaney, Kelsie Herron, Josh Wood, Abby Callaghan, David Firman.

     

    BUSINESS UPDATES:

    Treasurer’s Report

    Votes outside of meeting

    We voted to put an offer in for potential building start at $600,000 and to go up to no more than $750,000 (at least without voting again).

    Spring Sale – Kelsie, Josh, Laura, Amy T, David
    May 10th and May 11th

    Can we do a last meeting Monday or Tuesday evening before the sale?

    Amy is working on final email to send out to participants with load in/out instructions

    Workshops

    Youth Pinch Pot Monster Workshop
    May 5, 5-7

    *First Sunday of each month for kids

    *Second Sunday more for adults

    Monitors / Volunteers  -

    Had annual monitor meeting last weekend with 95% attendance. Seemed like everyone had a positive experience and had more clarity on policies. Have about 50 people on waitlist.

    Publicity – Kelsie

    Community Outreach/Membership

    The number of active members as of 4/29 is 631.


    ENewsletter

    Organizational News:
    Maybe an employee or board member spotlight:
    Workshops:
    Anything else?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

    Education  

    Education Coordinator

    Summer Class—Louis

    Building Maintenance -Louis

    In order to enable moving the Blaauw kiln in one piece (strongly recommended by Blaauw) we need to open the wall into the kiln room and install a roll up door. I have a discounted quote to make the wall opening for ~$7,000 and the door will be another $1,000. The high cost of refabricating the complicated kiln supports for the Blaauw kiln, the risk involved in moving the kiln in pieces, and the ease at which we can move everything else out of the building through this 'dock' justify the expense. I think this will also add a bit of value to our building when it's time to sell. 

    Technology

    Laura – Can we get gmail email addresses for all the positions?
                -Would it be helpful to get Microsoft Word and Excel accounts? I know Louis and Amy probably use Google Sheets and Docs primarily, but Amy was having issues doing the labels because Google Docs wasn’t compatible. Would it be helpful to get an account that then Louis and Amy could have on their laptops, and then the guild computer could also have?

    Grants
    We were awarded the 20K matching grant from the Kauffman foundation

    Artist in Residence

    Going to Arkansas Pottery fest in May

    Gallery

    Louis: We needed nice pedestals for use in our gallery and for use during the AiR exit shows, Teabowl National, etc. I have had a prototype flat pack pedestal made. We could have 20 pedestals made in various sizes that will last decades made for ~$2300. I have sample pedestals to show you all.

    Strategic Planning Committee- Josh, John, Melynda, Abby, Louis

    Hamburger Mary Bingo Fundraiser –

    Friday, May 17 at 7pm
    Will help each other advertise

    On the building, we have been negotiating with the owner's representative. They initially asked $895,000 or $71.60 per sq/ft for the building. We met as a board to offer no more than $750,000 for the building. John did some more financial research and concluded we couldn't afford to pay more than $700,000. Our nonprofit speciality lender, IFF has suggested we can afford to borrow and carry a $700,000 loan. We have discussed putting in ~$100,000 cash and borrowing ~$600,000.

    Once we are able to sell off our current building we would apply the proceeds (roughly $450,000 or  $93.75 per sq/ft) to the loan, knocking the principal down to $150,000. The loan would reamortize, payments would be reduced to reflect the small loan size.

    We were recently awarded a $20,000 matching grant, once matched we'll have an additional $40,000. 

    We offered $600,000 initially, they countered at $870,000 or $69.60 per sq/ft. We came back at $700,000 as a best and final offer. They countered at $810,000 or  $64.80 per sq/ft. We'll need to decide how to proceed tomorrow. My suggestion would be to counter at $720,000 citing the new grant.

    Teabowl National –  Aimee, Josh, Louis (Committee) David

    Shikha Joshi is TBN juror for 2024

    Raku Weekend

    Holiday Sale

    Apparel Committee – Laura, Aimee, Louis, Mike

    Aimee ordered aprons
    Have we heard if these have been received?

    New business:

    Joe Smith Lifetime achievement award – want to finalize nominations

    Need to get it on the website and what the criteria are

  • 03 Apr 2024 9:00 AM | Laura Tyler (Administrator)

     

    KC Clay Guild Board Minutes - April 3rd, 2024

     

    Start:   6:00     End: 9:00

     

    ATTENDEES:  Aimee Adams, Mike Cerv, Laura Tyler Strawn, Louis Reilly, Matt Moore, John Devaney, Kelsie Herron, Josh Wood, Melynda Stewart, Abby Callaghan, David Firman.

     

    Josh went through Annual Meeting:

    Current Financials - $201,657 Fund Raising Account, $156,597 Operational Bank Account
    Fiscal Responsibility – Debt free, smooth studio operation with healthy fund balance, opportunities to fund workshops and public outreach.

    By the Numbers: 650 members, 100,000 lbs of clay used, 2,000 non member passes to family fun night, 3, 200 hours of open studio time purchased, 3,000 people served through all programs.

    Education: added Amy Troester as Education Coordinator

    Special Events: monitor raku and Christmas parties, Teabowl National Exhibition and Demo, Raku Night-Sold Out, Holiday and Spring Sales

    Volunteerism: over 4,100 monitor hours worked in studio, 1200 volunteer hours worked by Board of Directors, 1872 hours worked by AIRs.

    Public Outreach: New Frontiers, AIRs on the Move, Circuit Court of Jackson County, Imagine That!, Urban Core Scholarship Program, KC Learn, Charitable Donations.
    KC Clay Build: Grants, Fundraising events, individual donations. $201,657 raised so far towards the purchase of a new building.

     *Will make more of an effort to better advertise the committees*
    Next Steps: Fundraising, Grants, events (Auction, Hambingo May 17th), work with Illinois Financial Fund to develop mortgage/building budget, continue to watch for buildings that fit our needs.

    Nominations for Board of Directions due April 15th

    BUSINESS UPDATES:

    Treasurer’s Report –Melynda

    March Income budget: $64,910

    March income actual: $40,828.45

    March expenses budget: $29,167

    March expenses actual: $30,263.08

    March Net income budget: $35,743

    March Net income actual: $10,565.37

    Votes outside of meeting

    Voted yes to order new pug mill – about $6,000

    Spring Sale – Kelsie, Josh, Laura, Amy T
    May 10th and May 11th

    Next Spring Sale meeting – Tuesday, April 9th

    Louis can make a KCUR advertising spot for the Spring Sale

    Workshops – Mike

    Second Wednesday Workshop:

    April 10th 7:00 - 8:30 PM - in person and live
    Will Preman – Slip Casting and Mold Making

    Hands-On Adult Workshop:

    April 14th 5 – 7  PM in person, sign up required

    Coil Built Planter Workshop
    *need to maybe cap these workshops and make clear that they are adult level

    Youth Slab Built Mug workshop
    April 7th, 5-7

    *First Sunday of each month for kids

    *Second Sunday more for adults

    Hamish Jackson will be in town in October and would like to host a workshop -Louis
    -Teapot masterclass all day workshop, we would need to close the studio that Sunday, 16 people, $120 a person.

    *Request for terra sidge workshop

    Monitors / Volunteers  - Matt

    Had annual monitor meeting last weekend with 95% attendance. Seemed like everyone had a positive experience and had more clarity on policies. Have about 50 people on waitlist.

    Publicity – Kelsie

    Community Outreach/Membership – Aimee

    640 members


    ENewsletter

    -Let Laura and Aimee know ideas for May feature on what we are doing in the community, who should be featured for volunteer, teacher, or employee spotlight, workshops, and anything else to include.

    May:

    Feature story – Hambingo

    Teacher Spotlight – Kelly Daniels

    Workshops

    Call for Teabowl National

    Education – Abby

    Started AIRs on the move back up again

    Education Coordinator – Amy Troester
    High Aspirations and advertise Urban Core Scholarship

    Helping teachers in KC schools how to use kilns, teach ceramics, etc

    Doing a raku firing at Truman High School, April 29th

    Summer Class—Louis

    130 spots are filled out of 192

    Building Maintenance -Louis

    Ordered the pug mill.

    Thinking about adding a garage door to our kiln room so we can transport it out so we can get the blauw kiln out in one piece.

    Technology

    GrantsArtsKC awarded us $5,000 and we’ll be able to get another $5,000 next year without having to apply again.

    Artist in Residence
    Had a good trip to NCECA with everyone

    Going to Arkansas Pottery fest in May

    Residency applications are due on April 15th


    Gallery
    – David

    Would be helpful for David to send an inventory list of what was sold with the inventory number

    Strategic Planning Committee- Josh, John, Melynda, Abby, Louis

    Looking into potential new building and potentially making offer

    Old school built in 1975, laid out really well for our needs, and wouldn’t need a huge renovation

    13,000 square feet

    Hamburger Mary Bingo Fundraiser –

    Friday, May 17 at 7pm
    Will help each other advertise

    Teabowl National –  Aimee, Josh, Louis (Committee) David

    Shikha Joshi is TBN juror for 2024

    Raku Weekend 

    Holiday Sale

    Apparel Committee – Laura, Aimee, Louis, Mike

    Aimee ordered aprons

    New business:

    Joe Smith Lifetime achievement award – want to finalize nominations

    Need to get it on the website and what the criteria are

  • 06 Mar 2024 9:00 PM | Laura Tyler (Administrator)

     

    KC Clay Guild Board Minutes - March 6th, 2024

     

    Start:   6:00     End:

     

    ATTENDEES:  Aimee Adams, Mike Cerv, Laura Tyler Strawn, Louis Reilly, Matt Moore, John Devaney, Kelsie Herron, Josh Wood.

    BUSINESS UPDATES:

    Treasurer’s Report –Melynda

    Melynda will be on vacation out of the country from 2/28 through 3/18 and will miss the March board meeting. 

    Josh will issue payments to teachers and AIRs.

    Votes outside of meeting

    Spring Sale – Kelsie, Josh, Laura, Amy T

    We had first Spring Sale committee meeting a couple weeks ago to go over basics and delegate tasks

    Voted yes on paying Amy Troester for an additional 20 hours to do work for the Spring Sale

    Workshops – Mike

    Second Wednesday Workshop:

    March 13th 7:00 - 8:30 PM - in person and live

    Izanna Perry

    Workshop description:

    Izanna will demonstrate how she uses coil building techniques to make her sculptures and then demonstrate how she uses slip trailing to decorate the surface. 

    Second Sunday Workshop:

    March 10th 6:00-7:00 PM in person and live

    Abby Callaghan

    Workshop Description:

    Join Abby as she discusses underglazes and her surface decoration process. Learn how she creates smooth, sky-like gradients and uses sgraffito and stencils for sharp, contrasting lines.

    Hands-On Adult Workshop:

    March 17th 5:30-8:30 PM in person, sign up required

    Kelly Daniels

    Workshop Description: Discover new surface decoration and slab building techniques with Kelly as you work together in this hands-on workshop to construct a functional ceramic birdhouse. 

    *First Sunday of each month for kids

    *Second Sunday more for adults – First one will be birdhouses 

    Monitors / Volunteers  - Matt

    Having monitor annual meeting with pizza

    -Promote board elections coming up for monitors and promote more monitor participation in committees

    Publicity – Kelsie

    Advertising for workshops, board videos, and spring sale.


    Community Outreach/Membership
    – Aimee

    New donation certificates printed and ready

    Dog bowl artist donation call – should maybe hold an event to make the dog bowls

    654 members


    ENewsletter

    -Let Laura and Aimee know ideas for April feature on what we are doing in the community, who should be featured for volunteer, teacher, or employee spotlight, workshops, and anything else to include. 

    Board elections – April 15 – nominations due, elections will start shortly after 17-28th

    Kelly Daniels for teacher spotlight

    April workshops

    April board meeting on zoom

    Education – Abby

    Working on board videos

    Education Coordinator – Amy Troester

    Summer Class—Louis

    About half full

    Building Maintenance -Louis

    Technology

    Laura – working on page for board meeting minutes and agendas. Trying to figure out which tab to put it under, or make its own tab. Might need special permissions to make and edit blog to add minutes and agendas to.

    Wondering if we can update the homepage. I think we can update photos and move things around. Can I make a draft and see if we’d want to adjust?

    Grants

    Louis sent out new grant application to Kauffman foundation. We should find out in 60 days. Also mentioned that we could do a matching grant with Kauffman foundation.

    They have been here and have had a tour.

    Also have sent out grant application to Deffenbaugh for 20K.

    We were awarded 5K from ArtsKC

    Artist in Residence

    Flights are on the 19th for NCECA

    Allison offered to bring tshirts, etc since she is driving. Was going to give her $100.

    Huey has a show up right now at Columbia College

    Going to Arkansas Pottery fest in May


    Gallery
    – David

    Huey sold a few more mugs that maybe need to be added to the above

    Voted for the gallery to not take a cut if Artist in Res have a gallery show

    Strategic Planning Committee- Josh, John, Melynda, Abby, Louis

    Josh – Would like to do Hamburger Mary Fundraiser. They are sending out an email soon to schedule their May fundraisers.

     

    Which Charities can participate?

    Only 501c3 nonprofit organizations or charities may participate in Mary’s Hambingo charity night given they can comply with the following stipulations:



    a)  They must have been an established 501c3 nonprofit for at least 2 years (a legal requirement for Missouri law).

    b)  The primary constituency of the charity cannot be minors (Example: scouting groups, schools, undergraduate colleges, fraternities & sororities, etc) (Also, a legal requirement for Missouri law).

    c)  The charity must have a large enough support base, email list, and constituency to be able to fill the 140+ seats at Hamburger Mary’s KC.

    d) The charity must be located within the metro Kansas City area and its immediate suburbs. We cannot book charity bingo events for groups outside of this area. 

    Josh will pursue this hopefully for May

    Louis – would like to plan an art auction to do this year for the capital campaign. Maybe early November.

    Teabowl National –  Aimee, Josh, Louis (Committee) David

    Shikha Joshi is TBN juror for 2024

    She is going to do her contracted social media post soon

    Raku Weekend

    Vote yes for David to secure band for $600 for Raku Night

    Amy cleaned out bone shelf and there aren’t a lot left. Maybe we should having a making event. 

    Holiday Sale

    Apparel Committee – Laura, Aimee, Louis, Mike

    Discuss designs and colors

    $14.50 per apron and minimum of 30

    Voted yes to order aprons for sale

    New business:

    John: 1.  By-Law review and approval

    Voted to approve by laws and Laura will put this on the website

    2.  Status of 7410 Sni-A-Bar Building offer

    3.  Annual Meeting Agenda and Coordination


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software